The Most Common Mistakes When Creating A Term Paper
Today we are going to discuss about something that all students are afraid of. Namely term papers, or rather, we are going to discuss the most common mistakes when writing a term paper.
Why do you need it? First of all, to save your nervous system and not repeat the mistakes of other students, thereby saving yourself from numerous overwork, teacher’s indignation, and low marks.
What is more, here is a lifehack of how to avoid all those. You can easily utilize special writing services, which are always ready to deal with your “write my paper ASAP” request. The service provides not only writing but editing too.
So if your term paper is almost finished, but you’re not sure about the correctness or the uniqueness of the work, the professionals can do it for you.
All you need to do is to contact the best essay writing service Reddit and find the most appropriate service for you. Only 2 steps separate you from getting a high-quality term paper.
Top 5 Mistakes When Writing A Term Paper
Lack of necessary elements in the introduction. A term paper is guaranteed to be returned for revision if the relevance, purpose, subject, and object, as well as objectives, are not formulated. These elements are found in all term papers without exception.
However, universities or lecturers ask for a methodology, scientific or practical relevance, a description of the structure, primary sources, or the extent to which the chosen problem has been researched to complement the introduction. A complete list of what is mandatory for your term paper can be found in the methodology.
Therefore, if you borrow it from your teacher or the department, you will not be able to make countless amendments.
It is also useful to pay attention to the design requirements contained in the methodology, namely, how tables and figures are signed, the order and principle of describing sources in the list, the width of margins, and other points.
Typing and layout of the text is the first thing the checker will look at.
Absence or inconsistency of references and actual sources of literature. Without references, your coursework is guaranteed not to be accepted. But putting them in a chaotic order is not enough to go to the examiner. The references must match the list.
Using outdated literature. It is impossible to write a term paper on a current, modern topic, citing sources from the early twentieth century. Which years it is better to take again noted in methodical recommendations?
As a rule, if you select books and articles published in the last 3-5 years, if it is not about the latest innovations in legislation or other areas, it will be enough for the information from them to be considered relevant.
The topic of the paper has not been covered. The volume of the term paper is small, approximately 30-40 pages. Therefore the ‘water’ in it is particularly obvious. Writing must be clear and not deviate from the theme of both the work itself and the paragraph being created.
Plagiarism. The main rule here is not to take a large amount of text from one source and even less from someone else’s student work. Coursework involves the independent work of the student.
And if part of another’s scientific text is still allowed in the theoretical section, just do not forget to design quotations and put near them a reference, then practically it is written independently. Scientific articles, textbooks, manuals, official statistics and reports, and texts of laws are used as sources.
Teachers have a very negative attitude towards information on blogs, controversial Internet resources, and Wikipedia. If you cannot write entirely from scratch, use the best college essay writing service and just relax. There are many automatic uniqueness improvement services on the Internet, but the result of a mindless selection of synonyms is unlikely to please you.
The Style Of Presentation Used For Coursework And Dissertations
A coursework or diploma thesis is intended to demonstrate not only how well the student has delved into the topic studied, but also how he or she has mastered the scholarly style of presentation of the material.
Only if all the subtleties are taken into account can one speak of a high academic level of the written word and its literacy.
Scientific style is considered to be a style of literary narrative that gravitates towards normalized, formal speech. When writing, it is important to take into account the rules of syntax, vocabulary, morphology, and so on. Verb-noun phrases and abstract nouns are common, but emotionally charged vocabulary should not be used.
When writing term papers, graduation papers, master’s theses, and other scientific works the following is used:
- General scientific vocabulary. This includes words that can be used in projects of all kinds, but which have a “note” of specificity. These are words such as system, factor, composition, dependence, etc.;
- General industry terminology Here we are talking about the use of terms that can be used when writing related disciplines and when describing interdisciplinary relationships. Examples of such words would be: derivative, equation (they can be found in both physics and mathematics);
- Branch terminology. For example, magnetism in physics, parabola in geometry, or taxpayer in jurisprudence.
Examples of verb-noun turns are phrases like “to take place”, “to confirm”, “to matter”, “to influence” and others. They give the speech a “dryness”, concreteness, and formalization.
What Are The Subtypes Of Scientific Style?
Scientific style is represented by 3 subtypes such as:
- The features are: repetition of the same words in a narrow context, the predominance of the noun before the verb, verbal nouns (study, consideration), bookish syntax;
- More accessible to the reader, who is “on the topic”. It is characterized by less saturation with concepts and terms than the first subtype;
- Popular science. A “simplified version”, more characteristic of children’s encyclopedias, and magazines. Every term used must be understood.
Features Of The Scientific Style Of Writing
So still what properties are peculiar to the scientific style? Why is it used when writing graduate qualification and term papers? About this now and we will talk. Characteristic features of the scientific style are:
- consistency of presentation. Scientific work should be understandable, and accessible, without the lyrical deviations, jump from side to side, meaningless phrases to give the text volume, etc;
- All blocks of text should be harmoniously connected, each subsequent phrase flowing smoothly from the previous one. Of course, the element of the debate is what links academic papers together, but the work should not turn into an essay. One’s own opinion is important and necessary, but it should be based on concrete facts, research findings, etc.;
- The language should be readable, accessible, and understandable;
- Concepts and facts are stated dryly, without subjectivity – no emotional coloring of phrases, expressiveness, etc.
What Can And What Can’t Be Written In The Thesis And Term Paper?
Now consider the main points that will help to make the written work better, better quality. If you follow these rules, you won’t have to listen to your supervisor’s comments about the low academic level of your work. We are talking about such moments:
- the use of the personal pronoun “I” should be forgotten. Instead, you should use ‘we’ or replace the construction with a passive one altogether;
- The use of pronouns such as: given, known, appropriate, and so on should be varied;
- verbs in the present tense predominate. For example, produced, contains others;
- words with colloquial and stylistic connotations are not allowed (e.g. children, guys, etc.);
- no evaluative words such as: great, cool, weird, awful, wrong, and other similar variants are allowed;
- be very careful with the use of paronyms;
- use of modal verbs (should, can, etc.) is encouraged.