Rupert Murdoch, an Australian-born American business magnate and media proprietor, owns a vast empire of companies through his company News Corp. He has a net worth of $21.7 billion as of March 2022. Some of the notable companies owned by Rupert Murdoch include:
- News Corp: Through this company, Murdoch owns hundreds of local, national, and international publishing outlets worldwide, including The Sun and The Times in the UK, The Daily Telegraph and Herald Sun in Australia, and The Wall Street Journal and New York Post in the US.
- Fox Corporation: Murdoch is the chairman of Fox Corporation, which includes various television broadcasting channels such as Sky News Australia and Fox News. He was also the owner of Sky and 21st Century Fox until their respective sales in 2018 and 2019.
- HarperCollins: Murdoch’s empire also extends to the publishing industry, with HarperCollins being one of the largest book publishers globally.
- Foxtel: Murdoch has a majority ownership stake (65%) in Foxtel, a leading Australian pay television company that offers a range of channels and streaming services.
- News UK: Murdoch’s ownership also extends to news media in the UK, with News UK being the parent company of popular publications like The Sun and The Times.
These are just a few examples of the many companies owned by Rupert Murdoch, showcasing his extensive influence in the media industry.
- Rupert Murdoch owns a vast empire of companies through News Corp.
- Some notable companies owned by Murdoch include News Corp, Fox Corporation, HarperCollins, Foxtel, and News UK.
- Murdoch’s media holdings extend to publishing, television broadcasting, and news media in various countries.
- His business ventures and investments have had a significant impact in the media and entertainment industry.
- Murdoch’s ownership has also been associated with political influence and controversies.
Rupert Murdoch’s Media Empire
Rupert Murdoch, the Australian-born American business magnate and media proprietor, has built a massive media empire through his company News Corp. With a net worth of $21.7 billion as of March 2022, Murdoch’s ownership and investments span across various countries and sectors, making him a major player in the global media industry.
Murdoch’s media empire had its roots in Australia, where he acquired several newspapers, including The Daily Telegraph, Herald Sun, and The Australian. He also established The Australian, the country’s first national daily newspaper.
Expanding his empire into the UK in 1969, Murdoch acquired notable publications like the News of the World and The Sun. Later, he purchased The Times, solidifying his presence in the British media landscape.
In the US market, Murdoch made a significant impact with his ownership of The New York Post and The Wall Street Journal. Additionally, he founded Fox News, a prominent cable news channel known for its conservative-leaning programming.
Murdoch’s media empire includes television broadcasting channels such as Sky News Australia and Fox News. He also had involvement in the ownership of other television networks like Sky and 21st Century Fox.
HarperCollins, one of the largest book publishers globally, is also part of Murdoch’s media empire.
These are just a few highlights of Rupert Murdoch’s extensive media empire, which showcases his influence and reach in the media industry. The tables below provide a visual representation of some of the key companies and holdings within his empire.
|The Daily Telegraph
|The Wall Street Journal
These tables provide a glimpse into the vast array of companies owned by Rupert Murdoch, demonstrating his ownership and investments in various sectors of the media industry.
Rupert Murdoch’s Business Ventures and Investments
In addition to his extensive media holdings, Rupert Murdoch has been involved in a wide array of business ventures and investments, building a corporate empire that spans across multiple industries. Here are some notable examples:
21st Century Fox
Murdoch served as the chairman and CEO of 21st Century Fox, a multinational mass media corporation encompassing film, television, and cable broadcasting. Noteworthy investments under this umbrella included Twentieth Century Fox and HarperCollins. In 2019, Murdoch sold 21st Century Fox to The Walt Disney Company, marking a major transition in his business portfolio.
Murdoch was formerly the owner of Sky, a prominent European media and telecommunications company providing satellite television services. However, in 2018, he sold his stake in Sky to Comcast, further reshaping his investment landscape.
Murdoch faced controversy and legal challenges related to his ownership of News International, the UK subsidiary of News Corporation. Notably, the News of the World phone hacking scandal occurred during this time, leading to the closure of the publication and significant reputational damage.
Entertainment Industry and Political Influence
Outside of media, Murdoch has also made notable investments in the entertainment industry, participating in the creation of films and television shows. Furthermore, his media empire has been associated with political influence, with allegations of biased coverage to support his business and political allies. His impact on the political landscape has particularly been acknowledged in the UK, US, and Australia.
These ventures and investments demonstrate the vast scale of Rupert Murdoch’s corporate empire, highlighting his influence not only in the media industry but also across various sectors.
What companies does Rupert Murdoch own?
Rupert Murdoch owns a vast empire of companies, including News Corp, Fox Corporation, HarperCollins, Foxtel, and News UK, among others.
What is Rupert Murdoch’s media empire?
Rupert Murdoch’s media empire encompasses various companies in different countries and sectors, including publishing, television broadcasting, and news media.
What are some notable companies owned by Rupert Murdoch?
Some notable companies owned by Rupert Murdoch include The Sun, The Times, The Daily Telegraph, Herald Sun, The Wall Street Journal, New York Post, Sky News Australia, Fox News, and HarperCollins.
What are Rupert Murdoch’s business ventures and investments?
Rupert Murdoch has been involved in various business ventures and investments, including 21st Century Fox, Sky, News International, the entertainment industry, and political influence.